Catching Fire versus The Revision Letter

Monday, November 25, 2013

I am still coming down from my Catching Fire high. I made the mistake of reading The Hunger Games before watching the movie and the whole time I was like...

Because even though I LOOOVE movies and I LOOOVE books. I love books just a bit more so when adaptations don't go my way (which they rarely do) I get a little grumpy.

I've since learned from my mistake because I've seen The Hunger Games numerous times since that day at the theater and I've warmed up to it.

Catching Fire is my favorite book in the trilogy so I wanted to go in somewhat blind. I haven't read the book in over a year so I went into the theater with the beginning and end in my head with the middle details a bit fuzzy. And this was me the ENTIRE time...


I think I dropped weight watching this movie. I was sweaty, anxious, and overflowing with glee. I jumped out of my seat when the monkeys came out (the CGI was top notch in this movie), I internally squee'd with all the kissing, and overall the movie was one of the best adaptions I've ever seen. It gave me all the information that I was forgetting and so much more. I won't do a spoilery post so I will end it there with an excellent segue into my revision letter for Book 3 in The Life After trilogy.

(I promise these 2 topics are related)

As this is my first series, I've learned a lot since earlier this year when I revised Soul Taken for publication. My Series Bible is in the works (an incredible tool by the way, if you are writing a series this thing will save you from going mad) and I am somewhat ready to tackle the SIX PAGES of revisions. And while my inner critic and Debbie the Downer is like this...


I am staring down at my pages like this...

At the end, there was a moment that really spoke to me. Katniss has been through so much at this point, Mockingjay for her is all about the fight.

Soul Possessed ended on a cliffhanger (don't throw things, please!) and one of the themes in my Revision Letter is showing how this shift in Maggie's story is going to make her into the warrior that I know is deep down inside of her. That last scene in CF spoke to me, revealing the path that I must go down to bring this light to Maggie. I am not going to make it easy for her, but everything is about to change now and I am so excited to dig into my MS and bring you the most explosive book in the trilogy.

So thank you Jennifer Lawrence for your fabulous portrayal of Katniss and her unwaivering determination that visually spoke to me, arming me for Maggie's battle and my internal one to write my fingers off for my readers. 

I hope you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving spent among family and friends and I shall write to you soon.

Leaving on an amazing note (warning after the stars...CF spoiler, I couldn't help myself!)

*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************
*****************************


 (eiiiiiiiii!!!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment