Guest Author Showcase: Carys Jones

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Today's Guest Author Showcase features Carina author Carys Jones. Welcome, Carys, and thanks for joining me today!

~*~

Please tell me about yourself and your book(s).

Hi! I’m Carys Jones, I live in Shropshire, England with my beautiful dog, Rollo, one eyed guinea pig Roger and my husband. I currently write for CarinaUK and Reuts Publications and have several books out that are romantic suspense and also a YA story.

Please describe your daily writing habits.

I write every weekday, always in the morning as my mind is freshest then. I divide my writing time between my own Work In Progress and also any freelance assignments I’m currently contracted to write.

I’m lucky to have a very girly themed writing room full of Disney pictures and trinkets and a bright pink wall! It’s my favourite place to be.

What are some things that have surprised you as an author?

The kindness and support of both the book blogging community and also fellow authors. Writing is such a solitary pursuit it is amazing to connect with like minded people who raise you up on your bad days and share in your good ones.  I love having people I can talk to on social media about books and writing, I’ve made so many friends through a shared love of reading.

What books and/or authors would you say have been your biggest influence?


Growing up I went through a massive Stephen King and Point Horror Books phase. I couldn’t read them fast enough and what I loved about the horror genre was its ability to surprise me.

Later in my teens I became interested in authors like Jodi Picoult and Virginia Andrews. What has always fascinated me within a story is how horrific events can influence and change people and the subsequent journey they go on. With my own writing I pinch bits of everything I loved growing up, all the elements in story telling which really spoke to me. 

Do you plan your books out from start to finish in advance or do you let the story and characters take you where it will?

I plan everything out in quite finite detail chapter to chapter. The moment I start a book I always know exactly where it is going to end which helps me shape things along the way. I rely heavily on notes that are hand written and strewn around my laptop and would probably make no logical sense to anyone other than me.

Music or no music when writing?

No music I’m afraid, I have to write in total silence, boring I know!

Favorite snacks/drinks while writing?

I always have a big glass of blackcurrant squash to hand when writing and reward myself for hitting my daily word target with a handful of jelly babies – only the red ones though!

Do you prefer physical books or ebooks?

Hmmm. Tough to say which I prefer as both have their appeal. I like reading a physical book in bed and am guilty of turning the corner of a page to hold my spot! But I also enjoy taking my Kindle with me when I’m out and about. It’s great to have it with you on long journeys or a lengthy wait at the doctors.

If I had to pick one it would probably be physical simply because I love that new book smell!

What are your thoughts on the current trend of making books into movies?

I love seeing books made into movies. The films tend to have more depth as they are based on fleshed out characters carefully developed within the pages of a book. If I know a film is based on a book I’m much more likely to go and see it, especially if I’ve read it as then it is really interesting to what changes, if any, have been made to the story!

I’ve just finished reading Shadow and Bone and was super excited to learn that it is being made in to a movie which I can’t wait to see!

Favorite genre that you like to read?

YA! It is pretty much the only genre I read. YA books tend to be a lot of fun as they are unrestrained. I like books that test the limits, that don’t need to fall into rigid categories like romance or thriller. In YA you have books that are hybrids of all the best genres and I love that!

Who is your all time favorite book character?

Sookie Stackhouse as she’s strong, independent and feisty. I like my heroines to be full of fire!

What three things must you have with you if you were stranded on a desert island?


A good book, a soft blanket and a large tub of Bailey’s ice cream!

About First to Fall:


Aiden Connelly’s first case will be one he’ll never forget.

Lawyer Aiden Connelly has traded the frenzy of Chicago for a slower pace in sleepy Avalon – and his first case appears to be as open-and-shut as he could hope for. Hired to defend a local ex-beauty queen accused of murdering her husband, he’s confident that he’ll have the case closed in record time. But below the surface lurks a darker truth…

Suddenly, a quiet backwater has transformed into a dangerous pressure cooker. In a town where everyone knows everyone, gathering evidence should be easy… but the harder Aiden searches, the more he appreciates how tangled this net of loyalties is. And as he digs deeper, Aiden begins to realise that his very first case in Avalon could be the beginning of his undoing…



About the Author:


 Carys Jones loves nothing more than to write and create stories which ignite the reader's imagination. Based in Shropshire, England, Carys lives with her husband, two guinea pigs and her adored canine companion Rollo.

When she's not writing, Carys likes to indulge her inner geek by watching science- fiction films or playing video games.

She lists John Green, Jodi Picoult and Virginia Andrews as her favorite authors and draws inspiration for her own work from anything and everything.

To Carys, there is no greater feeling then when you lose yourself in a great story and it is that feeling of ultimate escapism which she tries to bring to her books.

For more information about Carys please visit www.carys-jones.com or follow her on Twitter; @tiny_dancer85


No comments:

Post a Comment