Guest Author Spotlight: Natasha Hardy

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Today's Guest Author Showcase in my weekly series features Carina author Natasha Hardy. Welcome, Natasha, and thanks for coming by for a visit!

~*~
Please tell me about yourself and your book(s).

I live in Sunny South Africa, and am a wife, mum, runner, reader, drum player, summersaulting, foodie writer.
So far I’ve written fantasy fiction which I adore as a genre.
My books are set in South Africa and in the ocean- two of my favorite places-  and are about mermaids. (Not the “singing and dancing” type, but more the “survive and thrive in a hostile environment” type.)
My writing style has been described as lyrical fantasy and the most fun has been developing the characters, worlds and cultures my cast live in.

What tips would you give to a writer who is just starting out?

Trust in your instincts as a writer and love what you write, because at the end of the day it’s your name on the book.

What are some things that have surprised you as an author?

A few things actually,
First off, how characters, for me at least, really do come alive, and they’re damned bossy too!
Then there’s the surprisingly stimulating chaos of the editing process which- although hellishly stressful- has pushed me beyond what I thought I was capable of as a writer.
The roller-coaster after publication day has also been an interesting journey.
The amazing author friends I’ve made. What a great group of people!
Interaction with fans.

What books and/or authors would you say have been your biggest influence?

I’m a relative newbee to fantasy fiction so the biggest influencers in this genre would be , Terry Pratchett- Mort was a stroke of genius, Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series, and Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings and my all-time favorite C.S. Lewis’s Narnia

What genre would you like to write for that you’ve not tried yet?

I’d like to try my hand at kids’ fiction, in the line of Roald Dahl.

If you could have written any bestselling book today, which would it be?

I think Narnia by C.S. Lewis.

Do you plan your books out from start to finish in advance or do you let the story and characters take you where it will?

I have a rough outline in mind…it really helps to know what the end will be, although I’ve found it changes along the way more often than not.

Where do you get the inspiration for your characters and books?

All of my books so far have been sparked by an idea or a concept. I find the natural and human mysteries of our planet absolutely fascinating, so I tend to find an idea I really like and then build the concept and the characters around it.

Music or no music when writing?

No music while I’m writing, but music while I’m thinking about the story really helps, particularly if
there’s a mood or theme I’m struggling with.

Favorite snacks/drinks while writing?

Water…boring I know!

Do you prefer physical books or ebooks?

I like both.

What are your thoughts on the current trend of making books into movies?

I think it’s brilliant.  I think a good movie needs a lot of background plot and detail for the cast to do their jobs well.  Books provide that detail as well as so much more insight into the characters.
The only down side is if too much of the story is changed in the book to script conversion.

Favorite genre that you like to read?

Fantasy Fiction and historical fiction.

Who is your all time favorite book character?

Aslan in Narnia.

About Water:



About Fire:


About the Author:

I feel very blessed to be able to spend a lot of my time writing and the rest of my time looking after my two sweet little boys and my wonderful husband.

Having studied my Honours in Corporate Communication and worked in various organisations as a PRO, and Marketing and Communication Executive,  I started writing when my life was a series of chaotic 'have to's', and I needed a world in which I could escape. 

Since I began writing  everything has changed completely and my writing journey has led me into amazing worlds and introduced me to fantastic characters, some of them mythical, others closer to home, but all of them as real as I can possibly get them.

I am so grateful to God for this amazing journey and my family, friends co-authors, editors and readers for the unending support and kindness that floods so much of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment