'As You Lay Sleeping' Playlist

Monday, February 6, 2017

While I’m in the drafting stages of a book, I tend to be on high alert for music that I can refer to while writing to offer inspiration. Before putting pen to paper on ‘As You Lay Sleeping’, the song ‘Alive’ by Sia was the strike of inspiration for the character, E. There is something about Sia’s unique voice and the strong lyrics of this song that made E jump out of my subconscious into a (mostly) fully formed character.



Another song that resonated with me was ‘Unsteady’ by X Ambassadors. I can’t pinpoint a character for this song, it was more of a feeling. Family is a big theme in this novel and while imaging my characters, I thought of how they would interpret this song through the scenes of the book.



Rise’ by Katy Perry was partly an anthem to this novel, mainly for Cara and E. While they are both in opposition, both of them fight to rise from the situation they are in.



And I couldn’t leave out one of my favorite artists, Shawn Mendes. Every time I heard ‘Treat You Better’ on the radio I thought of a certain character *ahem* no spoilers!



These were the main songs I would listen to on repeat while outlining. But when it comes to sitting down and writing the book, I am unable to write with lyrics in songs, so I found a few fantastic stations and soundtracks on Spotify. The big players were the Hammock station and David Buckley’s ‘Call of Duty’ soundtracks. Both offered the musical emotion I needed for each scene.


* * * * *


Release date: February 22, 2017
Publisher: HQDigital
Genre: Young Adult Thriller

SYNOPSIS

I did it all for you…

Cara’s boyfriend is dead.

When fingers start pointing at her, she knows she’s in more trouble than she originally thought. Because Cara can see that something isn’t right.

As her carefully constructed life begins to crumble, Cara isn’t sure who she is anymore.

But maybe that’s exactly what someone wants her to think…

Pre-Order:  Kindle |iBooks Nook |KoboGoogle Play 

No comments:

Post a Comment